Skip to topic | Skip to bottom
Search:
Home

The Carmarthenshire Historian

Historian


Start of topic | Skip to actions
1 Tanner states that Camarthen Friary "was under the custody of Bristol."
2 Notes by Yardley in MS Gough, Wales 4, now preserved in the Bodleian Library, Oxford.
3 Transactions Carm. 1917-18, p 1.
4 ibid 1921-22, p 48; and 1926, p 14.
5 PRO. Inq. ad quod damnum, 12 Edw 1, file VII; Mon. Francis., ii.
6 Inq ad quid damnum. 23 Edw I, file xxiii, 7.
7 Inq ad quod damnum. 3 Edw III, file ccvii, 15.
8 Cal Patent Rolls, 4-5 Edward III.
9 Misc Inquisition. Chancery File 140: 14 Edw III (2nd nos), No. 81.
10 Cal. Close Rolls, 14 Edward III, p588.
11 Cartulary of St. John, Cheltenham, 1865, No 77, p27.
12 Cal Pat Rolls 18 Richard II, part 1. p482: dated at Haverfordwest.
13 a page or esquire, sometimes a youth or young man.
14 Cal Papal Registers, VI. 223.
15 Episcopal Registers of St. Davids, i 227; ii 463, 593, 603, 733. 735, 761.
16 ibid, ii, 601.
17 Proved in London, "Rous" folio 13; see West Wales Historical Records, VII., 144. The Maliphants came originally from Kidwelly, and in 1530 the coat-of-arms of "Edward Malyfant in Kydwallysland" was noted in the Carmarthen Friary church.
18 West Wales Historical Records, VII., 155-6.
19 BM Harl MS 1498, fo. 91b.
20 MS (H.8) in the College of Arms, London, written by a herald who visited the church in 1530 and left a description of the tombs and heraldic decorations. See Vol 20
21 Ibid, the herald incorrectly calls him the "uncle" to Sir Rhys ap Thomas, K.G.
22 See A. R. Wagner Catalogue of English Mediaeval Rolls of Arms. OUP. 1950 p58
23 Glanmor Williams, The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation, WUP, 1962, p. 29n
24 British Museum, Vatican Transcripts, vol. XXXVII., p 17.
25 See Appendix B: Letters and Papers, Henry VIII, vol 13, pt 2, No. 229. (2) 30 Aug 1938.
26 A room attached to the church, in which sacred vessels, vestments and other valuables were preserved; the sacristy was sometimes included within the walls of the fabric, sometimes an adjunct.
27 The Choir or Quire answers to the chancel in parochial churches.
28 Bells rung on the elevation of the Host.
29 It is said that one was afterwards sold in Carmarthen for 20 shillings, and the other conveyed to Bristol Lodwick, History of Carmarthen, 1953, p29.
30 Compare the situation of the Grey Friars at Cardiff, which, before its surrender had been forced to pledge its sacredvessels Reformation in the Old Diocese of Llandaff, pp 68-72.
31 Now called Pentre Cyrill (the vill of the hawk).
32 Arthur Jones, 'The Property of the Welsh Friaries at the Dissolution,' Arch Cam., 1936.
33 Records of the Court of Augmentations, ed J. C. Davies, p 244.
34 J. Woodward Ecclesiastical Heraldry, 1894, p 418.
35 See Anc. Mon. Cam., pp xxvii, 255-6, illustr.
36 Cf Letters and Papers, Henry VIII, vol XI., No. 1428, AD. 1536. 'Instructions for the Bishop of St. David's suits' "The bishop's suit is to have the friars of Kermerddyn for the Cathedral Church, for in the same town the Chaunter hath appointed his free school; and the said bishop will find a continual lecture of divinity seeing it is situate in the best town and in the middle of the diocese, where also the King's justice is kept, by occasion whereof the gentlemen and commons of the country most resort there."
37 Browne Willis, St. Davids, 1717, p 144: Menevia Sacra, pp 129-130.
38 West Wales Historical Records, IV., p 287.
39 PCC 'Alen 51' printed in West Wales Historical Records, VII, pp 157-8. Thomas Lloyd's nuncupative will, dated 21 December 1546 was proved on 13 December 1547, and the inventory of his goods dated 4 September 1547.
40 All dates are given in New Style throughout this essay.
41 This name is spelled variously as Park yr hill and Park hill, the correct form being Park cyrill. It is the area around the house known today as Pentre cyrill.
42 Letters and Papers Henry VIII, vol 14 (Pt 2), No. 787, AD 1539; vol 18 (Pt1) No. 226. AD Feb. 1543.
43 PRO Chancery Proceedings, Ser II. Elizabeth, AD 1558-79, bundles 27, 33, 45-6, and 51.
44 PRO. E315/1221, and 318/2016.
45 John David or Davies of Trevine in Llanrhian parish, died on 6 May 1568.
46 Cal. Early Chancery Proceedings relating to Wales. p 48. Pebidiog is the old name for the lordship, later hundred, of Dewsland.
47 PCC. "Pickering 22." Proved 2 May 1575.
48 PRO. Star Chamber. 5/P, 34/28.
49 Carmarthen Record Office, The Cawdor Collection. Henry Vaughan lived at Derwydd.
50 Bodleian MS. Gough, Wales 4.
51 W. Spurrell, Carmarthen and its Neighbourhood, p 19.
52 A more permanent religious feature was the Independent chapel, first erected in 1726 within the curtilege, in "the court of the Friars," and whose successor, raised in 1826, still occupies the same site.

to top

Historian.TheGreyFriarsOfCarmarthenReferences moved from Home.TheGreyFriarsOfCarmarthenReferences on 11 Sep 2005 - 14:51 by ChrisJones - put it back
You are here: Historian > HistorianVol3 > TheGreyFriarsOfCarmarthen > TheGreyFriarsOfCarmarthenReferences

to top