Skip to topic | Skip to bottom

The Carmarthenshire Historian


Start of topic | Skip to actions

Journal of a Young Lady of Fashion

Part II
By Major FRANCIS JONES, C.V.O., T.D., D.L.
Wales Herald of Arms Extraordinary

Hermione Jennings The journal of Agnes Hermione Jennings of Gellideg relating to the years 1865 and 1866 was published in [[JournalOfaYoungLadyOfFashion][Vol. XI] of The Carmarthenshire Historian, together with a biographical introduction. The journal is here concluded with entries relating to the years 1867 to 1872. Although it has been necessary to condense the journal for the later years, the omitted material is largely of a repetitive nature or else of minimal interest and the flavour of the original manuscript is not affected as a result.


Visit to Stradey
Thursday the 10th of January, Mamma and I, with Wakeford and Lewis went to dine and sleep at Stradey. Papa rode over. We started at 2 and called on Mr Malephant on our way. Jerry went lame so we did not arrive till 5. Found Mr and Mrs Lewis and young Lewis and Papa in the drawing room. Had tea and then went to dress. I had a good big room. Wore white garribaldi and skirt, with scarlet sash. Mr Onslow, Mr Somerset, and Mr Pemberton dined there. I went in to dinner with Mr Onslow. I sang a little in the evening but not well as I had a sore throat. Played vingt-un and old bachelor. Mr Somerset got all the money, 8 shillings. Went to bed at 11. I sat up till 12 to look out for the ghost who promenades the staircase at 12 in a silk dress. Looked out of my door when the clock struck, heard some one coming along in a rustling dress, drew back thinking it might be Mrs Lewis. It passed my door and re-passed it.

Breakfast the next day at 10. We left at 12. The meet of Mr Lewis's beagles at Killymanllwd. Papa and young Lewis rode there. I walked up from the road where we left the carriage with Mamma in it. Fought Mr Rees and two deaf Miss Rees's. Saw the hounds throw off, then walked back to the carriage. The Rees's went with me. Got home at 2.

Winter evening entertainment at Carmarthen
On Tuesday the 22nd of January, we all (except Richie) went over to Carmarthen to the winter evening entertainment when Papa was to take the chair and lectured as well on "Farrer", the Bishop of St Davids who was burnt. We had dinner at 5 and started at 6. Arthur on the box and papa, Mama, Louy, and I inside. Richie was to have ridden but it came on to rain so that he gave it up. The roads were in a most extraordinary state. The thaw had just set in, and though it was raining it froze as it fell on the ground and the roads were a sheet of ice. Jerry went home, and the coachman took two hours driving over.

We arrived 20 minutes late, and were loudly applauded by an impatient audience on our entering the room. We were provided with seats in the front row by Latimer Jones. The room was filled with a very respectable audience. The performances began by Papa making a speech. Then a glee was sung by about 30 people, "Here in cool grot". Mr Brooke played the piano. Then Papa gave his lecture on Bishop Farrar which was much applauded. This was followed by a song from Miss Bevan. There were readings by Mr White and a curate. The latter read "Putting on the screw" very badly. There was another glee, then a boyish individual sang "She wore a wreath of roses". Then Latimer Jones proposed a vote of thanks to Papa for presiding which was carried. Papa made another speech and the affair terminated by the National Anthem. We had to wait a long time for the carriage and came home very slowly. Got home at 1.

Visit to Pantglas, balls, etc.
On Wednesday the 23rd of January, Mamma and I went to stay for three days with the Jones' of Pantglas. Mamma was seedy in the morning and was afraid she would not be able to go, but recovered. The fly Papa had ordered from Carmarthen came round at 2, and we started soon after with Arthur who was going with us (in evening costume) as far as Carmarthen and from there working his way on to Aberglasney for the ball in the evening. Wakeford and Lewis went with us. We stopped at Bagnall Davies for some gloves and left Arthur there. We then drove into the yard at the Ivy Bush where we changed horses and proceeded to Pantglas.

We passed Abergwili and Altagogue and after going 7 miles along the turnpike road, we turned off a hill road on the left and went for about 3 miles more to Pantglas. It rained the whole way from home, and when we turned off from the turnpike road we discovered that the flie leaked and that Mamma was sitting in a pool of water, at which she got rather excited as she had on a new black and lilac velvetine dress. We went along a very pretty but dangerous and precipitous road looking down on a river (not the Towy). After going through the lodge we drove through a mile of park from which we could see the house which looked very large with a flag up. We drove over a bridge which was put up over a small lake of which there were several in front of the house.

When we stopped at the door, the young Gulstons who were all about in the hall, came and let us out. In the hall we met Mr Jones and then the Miss Jones and the youngest boy little Girwin Jones who was about 10, a good-looking child with large prominent teeth. We were then showed into a small room where they were having tea and where we found Mrs Gulston. After tea we were taken to our room, we were to have the same, and were told we were not to dress till after dinner. The room was rather cold and cheerless, the window was just being shut as we came in and the fire only just lighted. There was only one washing-stand and one basin. After washing my hands we went down and found no one but Mr John Jones (Blaenos) and Stepney Gulston who were just going to dress for dinner. Finding no ladies down I decided on going up again and having my hair dressed, and Mr J. Jones showed me the way. Soon after, I came down again, the Gulstons appeared, 8 in number, Father and Mother and 6 children. Then the Jones', Miss Boultbee and a Mr Crawshay, and Mr Benson, and Mr and Mrs Drummond the bride and bride-groom. I went in to dinner with Stepney Gulston, after which we dressed for the Aberglasney Ball. I wore a blue silk peplum. We were dressed the first.

We went in the carriage with Horatia and George Gulston, and Alfred and Louise Jones, so we were tightly packed. We drove round to the back entrance at Aberglasney as they danced in the hall. There were about 100 people. It wound up with a cotillon which S. Gulston led with Mrs Harries. I danced it with Mr Drummond. We left at 5. I came back with Stepney, George, and Mr Gulston, Lilla and Louise Jones: they had another supper when they returned but I went off to bed.

Thursday. Wet nearly all day. Came down to a breakfast lunch at 12. Then looked over photo books etc in the boudoir where were Mamma, Mrs Drummond, and afterwards Mrs Gulston who began talking state secrets with Mamma, so I was turned out and went up to my room and read "Hopes and Fears" as most of the others were arranging the charades for the evening, and I was not to know the word. When I went down again I was told by Stepney Gulston I was to come in, in the first scene, as Lady in waiting to the Queen, the first syllable to be 'court'. I then went into the boudoir and exchanged monograms with Miss Boultbee and Mrs Drummond who both gave me some very good ones. Miss Boultbee told us a good deal about Gillas whom she knew a little. I looked over Miss B's book of crests.

Later in the afternoon we had music in the drawing room, a handsomely furnished room leading out of the boudoir, but from their never inhabiting it now looked rather cheerless. Miss Boultbee played and sang, and then Alfred Jones sang "Champagne Charlie" and "Padelle your own canoe", and we joined in the choruses. Miss Gulston came in from a walk with little Girwin, and later Miss Boultbee and I with Mr Benson and George and Arthur Gulston went for a turn round the kitchen garden, but we soon came back again as it came on to rain heavily.

We had tea and then dressed for dinner. I wore my white silk dress with a scarlet sash. I went in to dinner with Mr Benson. Miss Jones was not well and did not make her appearance all day until after dinner. Mr Somerset was staying at Pantglas till Saturday having come back with us from Aberglasney. Mr and Mrs William Morris dined with us. After dinner we went upstairs to see about the dresses for the charades. We found Alfred Jones in Mrs Gulston's room dressed up as a girl with a wig on and capital get up. Mrs Gulston dressed Miss Gulston as Queen with a gilt crown on, Mamma's diamonds, a blue ribbon and yellow train; she had on a scarlet tunic. Mrs Gulston then dressed up Mr Crawshay as Prince with a crown, blue ribbon, and scarlet cloak. I wore Miss Gulston's bandeau of pearls, and Mamma's garnet ornaments and a scarlet train. Lizzie, the other lady in waiting, wore a scarlet and white train.

On going down stairs we were sent by a back way to the library which was the room where the actors assembled. After the audience had taken their seats in the hall (the Aberglasney party who were expected never came) a curtain which had been put up between the hall and the vestibule was drawn up, and Stepney Gulston in plain evening dress read a prologue he had written for the occasion. Then after 10 minutes delay in which he put on a deputy lieutenant's uniform, the first scene opened by the Queen and Prince entering the throne room preceeded by the Lord Chamberlain (S. Gulston) walking backwards and ushering them in. The Queen's train was carried by Girwin, and then followed Lizzie and I as ladies in waiting. The presentations were Miss Louise Jones called the Marchioness of Llandilo, and Miss Boultbee as the Marchioness of Tivyside, and Mr Benson as the Duke of Timbuctoo in a long scarlet cloak. The presentations over we went out, in the same procession as before, but were loudly called for again and cheered and applauded. My part was now over, as was also Horatia and Lizzie Gulston and Louise Jones, so we all came back and took our place among the audience. The next scene was 'ship', all done by the gentlemen, supposed to be on board ship. The next, the word was 'courtship', Stepney Gulston making love to Alfred Jones (Angelina), and Mr Somerset in green goggles and white hat as father, and Mr Benson with a large yellow poke bonnet as mother, rushing in to interfere.

The next charade was 'infancy', the first syllable 'inn'. Mamma was the landlady, and Mrs Somerset a traveller was wanting a great many things to eat which the landlady could not supply, and at last the only thing that could be forthcoming were chops, which it afterwards turned out had been ordered before by another traveller, S. Gulston, who came in, and then a row ensued. The next scene, 'fancy', was Mamma as a nervous fanciful lady and her husband, S. Gulston, as Mr and Mrs Fitzfigget, a newly married couple. Mrs F had taken a fancy to go to Paris for the exhibition, and her husband, refusing, she took refuge in tears which brought Mr F round at last to half promising to go. The word 'infancy' was young Jones as a baby, and Mamma as a nurse, but this scene was spoiled by A. Jones howling so that not a word could he heard. After the charades, the young Gulstons pulled up the carpet in the drawing room, which was a loose one, and we had dancing for an hour. It was 2 o'clock by the time we went to bed.

Friday. Fine day. Came down to breakfast about 11. Found only Miss Gulston, Mr Somerset, Alfred Jones, and Mr Crawshay, as the others had done breakfast. Afterwards we all (except Miss Gulston and some of the young men) helped to prepare the drawing room for the ball. We tore the green calico in strips and wound it round the candles and the stands for lighting up the ball room. We afterwards had singing, and then made rosettes for the cotillon. Miss Boultbee gave Mr Benson one and engaged him to dance the cotillon. We had luncheon at 1 after which we went to call at Aberglasney. Mamma and Mrs Drummond and Mr Crawshay went in the carriage with me, and Mr Benson on the box. Miss Gulston drove the other carriage with A. Jones by her side and Mr Somerset and Miss Boultbee and Girwin behind. Louise Jones drove the other carriage with George, Arthur, and Lizzie Gulston. We found all the Aberglasney party in, and afterwards went out on the terraced walk. We then drove on to Llandilo where we stopped at a shop, and the gentlemen bought us lemonade and goodies.

We got back to Pantglas about 5, and had tea. We were told we were not to dress till after dinner. I gave Miss L. Jones my photo and got hers in return. I went in to dinner with Mr Somerset, and George Gulston was on my other side. Directly after dinner we went to dress. I wore my pink dress with lace over it. Arthur Gulston came in and made me seal a camelia together for him, but got a wiggin from Mamma and was turned out. We had a capital ball, about 80 people came. I danced a good deal. The first I danced with Mr Crawshay. I went in to supper with young Crosse, and the cotillon I danced with Mr Benson as Miss Boultbee threw him over to sit out in the hall with Mr Edmund Vaughne, whom it was reported she was engaged to. After the cotillon there was a second edition of supper, after which we set to work to dance again which we kept up till 6 but which was at last stopped by the band playing "God Save the Queen".

Saturday. We came down to breakfast about 12, as we wished to be off by 1, but we found no one down, and when some of them came down they all remained talking in the boudoir for nearly an hour before they let us have breakfast. We found no one left but the Gulstons and ourselves, as the others had all gone off early; the Drummonds to London, Mr Benson and Crawshay back to their respective places, and Mrs Gulston declared that Mr Somerset had gone in a flie alone with Miss Boultbee, to Carmarthen, but she had insisted on the maid going inside. But we afterwards found out that as soon as they were out of sight they turned the maid out again. Mrs Gulston was very angry with Miss Boultbee about it and abused her very much. We had breakfast at last, about 1, and got off by 2. Mr Jones put some game in our flie. It rained all the way home. Our carriage, with Louy inside, met us at the Ivy Bush. After getting a P.O. Order and some chocolate creams etc, we came home and arrived about 6.

First Hunt Ball at Carmarthen
Tuesday the 5th of February, Mamma and I went to the first Hunt Ball. I wore my blue peplum, and Mamma yellow silk. We were late in dressing and did not start till 9. The children from the lodge came to see us dressed. We did not get to Carmarthen till 11 as there was a new leather on the drag chain which made us go slowly. I danced every dance. My partners were Mr H. Peel, Mr Crawshay, Mr Benson, Mr Long Price, Mr Alfred Jones, Mr Somerset, Captain Jones, Mr Williams, Mr Saurin, and all the four Gulstons. The two Stuarts were there, Mr Herbert Evans, and Valentine Davies the latter made himself very absurd by making speeches, etc. The Duke of Hamilton and Lord Ruthin [Ruthven] were at the ball. We got home about 6.

Dinner party at the Crosses
On Wednesday the 6th of February, Papa Mamma, and I dined at Iscoed. I got up at 4 (having slept since 6 without waking) and dressed for the party. I wore my blue dress with embroidered skirt over it. We met Mr and Mrs Peel and two Miss Peels who were staying at Iscoed, Mrs H. Williams and Lady Hanbury, Mr Onslow and Mr Pemberton. I went in to dinner with young Crosse. Miss Peel sang after dinner a good deal. I did not take my music. They afterwards got up a round game at cards but we did not stay for it, as we were late yesterday and there was a ball tomorrow.

Second Hunt Ball at Carmarthen
Papa, Mamma, and I started at 8 for the second Hunt Ball. I wore white and pink with pearl ornaments, Mamma white. The Davieses, Jenkins's, and Anthony's came to see us dressed. We got to the ball at 10. Dancing had not yet begun, but as we went into the room the sets were forming for the first quadrille which Captain Crosse asked me to dance with him to make up a set. I danced most of the partners of Tuesday and young Crosse and a gentleman Mrs Gulston introduced. It was very crowded about 200 people being there, but not at all select as I observed the Reporter for the Carmarthen Journal, Andrews the Photographer, and young Richardson. Several people fell down, and Mrs Owen Wilson fainted.

Our Visit to Pentre
On Monday the 25th of February, Mamma and I with Wakeford and Lewis went to stay with the Saunders Davies's for the Cardiganshire Hunt Week. We left Gelly-deg at 10.40 and drove to Carmarthen. After we had got about a mile Mamma discovered she had left her diamonds behind. At first she talked of going back for them, but we persuaded her not to, as we should probably have been too late for the train. At Carmarthen we did some shopping and then went to the station where we were half an hour too soon, so Wakeford and I went for a walk through the town, and went to Mrs Jones the pastrycock and had lunch, and Wakeford who felt rather sick coming had a bottle of porter. We then went back to the station and took our places in the train, and after some delay started, there was only one other person in our carriage at first and whom (as discovered by his conversation to another gentleman who afterwards got in was also going to Pentre.

At Llandissil we got out and took our places in the omnibus (but which calls itself a coach) and waited quite half an hour before we started while a quantity of boxes and hampers were being piled on, the top belonging to the Howells. Mrs Howells (the idol) and two of her maids were inside, also Mr Cochrane (who was going to Pentre) and who began to enter into conversation with Mama. Wakeford went inside and afterwards felt sick again and was obliged to get out and walk up a hill. The omnibus was quite filled inside with commoners. Outside were Colonel and Miss Pryse who were also going to Pentre; Mr Williams and Mr and Miss Howell. The carriage we had ordered met us at Newcastle Emlyn which is about 10 or 12 miles from Llandyssil and five or six from Pentre. We arrived at Pentre about 5 and had tea. Amongst those in the room were Miss Pugh and Miss Di Phillips who were there last year; Mrs Frederick Edwardes and Miss Shield were calling there and some got up to go. We then were shown into our rooms to dress for dinner. Mama and I had the same room and I had a dressing room beyond. On coming down to the drawing room I found the company consisted of Colonel and Miss Pryce, uncle and niece of her stepfather, Mr Fryer, Mr Cochrane, Miss Evans (sister to Mr Picton Evans), Miss Cope and Miss Borradaile (two cousins), Miss Pugh and Miss Di Phillips. I wore my blue and white dress. Mr Fryer took me in to dinner and I found him very slow. In the evening there was music and dancing. Another gentleman arrived about 10 o'clock, a Mr Barker. We went to bed at 11.

Tuesday. Came down to breakfast about 10. It was a hunting morning and most of the gentlemen were in scarlet, and Miss Pryce in her habit. It was a misty wet day and none of the nonhunters went out in the morning. The hounds met at Cardigan and it was too far for the horses to go in twice in the day. We sat in the drawing room and worked and talked in the morning. We then played poole. The gentlemen were Colonel S. Davies, Mr Cochrane; the ladies, Miss Pugh, Miss D. Phillips, Miss Evans, and myself. We had lunch at 2. Afterwards we all except the elders walked to call on Mrs F. Edwardes. I walked with Miss Pugh and Miss Borradaile there, and Miss Pugh and Di Phillips back. We saw Mrs F. Edwardes, Miss Shield, and the children three girls. On our return I went a voyage of discovery to the nursery and inspected the babes and sucklings. After tea we went to dress for dinner. I put on my ball dress at once, viz. white tulle with white and pink sash, and pink flowers in my hair. Most of the others came down in white garribaldis and changed after. Mr Cochrane took me in to dinner. The servants came into the hall to see us dressed for the ball. We started in three carriages about 9. I went with Mrs S. Davies, Mama, and Miss Pryce. We arrived before the ball had begun as Colonel Pryce was one of the stewards, Mr Owen was the other. I danced with Mr Cochrane, Mr Fryer, Mr Barker, Mr Bishop, Mr Saurin, Mr Owen, Mr Williams, Mr Hughes, and with a Captain Leech (Miss Cope introduced) and with Mr Stokes, Mr Griffiths, and Mr Hanbury whom Mrs S. Davies introduced. I went down to supper with Mr Cochrane. We left at 4, in the same carriage as we came and had a second supper at Pentre on our return.

Wednesday. I was awake at about 11 o'clock by a brass band playing outside the windows. Got up and came down about 12. Played poole with the same party as yesterday, with the addition of Miss Pryce and Mr Barker. The Jordans of Pigeonsford and Miss Lewis Lysnewedd who had come to luncheon, came and looked on at the game part of the time. A very large party came to lunch and amongst them the Boultbees. I sat next to Miss Lewis of Lysnewedd. We started for the races about 3. I went in the carriage with Mrs S Davies, Mama, Miss Borrerdale and little Arty. Colonel Davies drove. It rained in torrents the whole day. We had the carriage opened part of the time while on the course, and Miss B and I went on the box where we saw the starting and winning part very clearly but not the whole course. Mr Howell was the only gentleman rider and was very near winning. We returned to tea at 5. Miss Evans was the only one who stayed at home. Mrs F. Edwardes and Miss Shield came to dinner, also Mr Saurin and Mr Owen. I wore my blue silk tunic and went in to dinner with Mr Owen. I talked to Miss Shield after dinner. In the evening we had music and dancing. Went to bed about 1.

Thursday. Came down to breakfast at 10. The gentlemen in hunting costume. At 10 Mrs S. Davies, Miss Evans, and I went to the meet at Cenarth. It rained till 12 and then cleared up. We all three sat under the hood at first as the carriage would not close. There was a large field and we followed them to Gellydywell (Mr Brigstock's place), but soon they went off to Fynone, and then we returned home at about 12. We had lunch at 1. We stayed at home in the afternoon. I made exchanges of photos and crests. The hunting party came home to tea at 5. I put on my white garribaldi and red sash for dinner. I went in with that stupid Mr Fryer again, who had a bad cold to add to his charms. After dinner I dressed for the ball. I wore my new green and white tarlatane dress with pearl ornaments. I went in the carriage with Miss Evans, Miss Pugh, Miss Borradail and Miss Cope; and come back with Mrs S. Davies, Mamma, and Mr Fryer. I danced with very nearly the same partners as on Tuesday. We got back about 6.

Friday. Came down to breakfast about 11. Colonel and Miss Pryce and Mr Fryer took their departure about 12. I chaffed Miss Cope about Major Leech. Went to the nursery and said goodbye to the children. We left at 1, and went all the way to Llandissil in the flie. Before we got out of the park, Mamma discovered she had left her muff and boa behind. Lewis went back for them. Got to Llandyssil of an hour before the time, so I wrote a letter to Minnie in the waiting room. The train went at 4 and got to Carmarthen about 5. Did some shopping there. Did not get home till nearly 8.

[In London]

Her London visit in 1867, which she records between 29 March and 10 July, was very much a repeat of her experience the previous year, which meant a constant round of parties and theatre visits. Invariably she attended these festivities accompanied by her parents, except for the rare occasions when Mamma's energy failed. Here are some entries:

Sir Charles Hamilton's dinner
Mon. 15 April. Dinner at 6. "Lady Hamilton was very odd and made a salaam to us when we first came into the room, bowing down to the ground. Sometimes she never spoke for half an hour, but when she once began she went on like a clock, and would talk for half an hour without interruption".

General Hamilton's Dinner
Fri 17 May. "When I was dressing, my dormouse (which I had lost since the day before) jumped out of my petticoat which had been up in Wakeford's room. I caught it and put him in the chest of drawers", and then went to the dinner with Papa and Mamma.

The Fourth of June at Eton
On Tuesday the fourth of June, Papa and I went down to Eton. We started from here at 12 and went by the Metropolitan railway to Paddington, from where we went on without changing trains to Windsor. It was a fine day, but a few showers in the morning. We eat our luncheon in the train and got a bottle of ginger beer at Windsor. We then went and got tickets of admission for the state apartments at Windsor. We then proceeded to the place where absence was being called, and finding that the upper fourth form had been done with, we went to Willy's dame's, where we found him.

But as he had not had dinner yet, we left him for half an hour, while we went to get leave for him from the head master Balston. We found a large party assembled at his house for luncheon, but Balston soon appeared in a cap and gown and told us he did not give leave, but we must go to Willy's tutor. This we did and got leave, and then returned to Willy's room, where he soon came to us, and we rested there for half an hour. His dame soon came in (Mrs Stephens) and pressed us to take luncheon as both the head master and tutor had done before, but which we declined.

We then went into Eton Chapel for a few minutes and also into the school. We then went up a flight of two or three hundred steps to Windsor Castle. As we were going we met Mr Rycroft who was coming away. We then went over the state apartments, and then attended a full choral service at St George's where we heard a beautiful anthem. We then went through the town and up Park Street to the Park where there is a long straight drive of three miles leading to a statue of one of the Georges.

We then went to the station where Papa left me in the waiting room, and where I saw an apparition in black. We next proceeded to a tuck shop where we regaled ourselves on cakes. We then went to look for a shoe shop where I bought a pair of shoes last year. After going to two or three shops we at last found the right one and I purchased another pair of shoes of the same sort. We then went to a field by the side of the river (the Brocas) and after waiting about half an hour we saw the crews get into the eight boats and row off one by one, a little way up the river and then come down past us together, and then all go up in procession to Surley with a band at their head. There were 8 in each boat except the principal one in which there were 10. Benson was captain of the boats, a brother of the one we know, and whom we afterwards met by the river. The dresses were very pretty, each boat's crew having a different colour which was carried throughout their dress which was a striped shirt of their colours, a straw hat with coloured ribbon, and the name of their boat on it, with a silver badge, white trousers, pink silk stockings and shoes with buckles. The different colours were blue, light blue, dark blue, green, pink, violet, etc, etc. The steerers of the three upper boats were dressed as captains in the navy, with cocked hats and swords etc, and large bouquets; and those in the five lower boats, as midshipmen, with bouquets.

As soon as the boats started, most of the boys and Willy among them ran along the banks to Surley, a distance of three miles, and where the boys in the boats had a supper. We did not stay for the fire works, and so made our way to the station where we were only just in time to catch the train which was just starting.

There was no room in the first class so we were obliged to get into a second class carriage, where two women afterwards got in (one with-out any bonnet or cloak) who had come from the North as fruit pickers. There were 20 or 30 of them in the other carriages. They were very coarse rough looking women and those in our carriage were half tipsy. They began to insult us because Papa asked the guard when they got in if there was any room in a first class carriage as we had tickets for first class. There was none, and one of the women flew at Papa in a torrent of abuse, and asking what harm he thought they should do us, and if he thought they meant to murder us, and saying they had as good a right to be in the carriage as he had, and they'd paid for their tickets as well as we had, and stay they should. And then she said they were as good as we, for all we thought of ourselves.

And then the other gave tongue and talked religion all the time at us, and said that in the next world we should all be in the same place, and she wondered how we should like it then. In Heaven there would be no first and second class, and the poor would be much more likely to go to Heaven than we should. And then, turning to her companion she said "What does the Bible say? It is easier for a rich man no that's not it it is easier for a poor man to get into Heaven than it is for a rich man to get through the eye of a needle". And so they went on the whole time till at the next station Papa got the guard to put us in another second class carriage where there were some ladies. The last thing the women called out as we were leaving their carriage was, "Now then make haste and leave this carriage, we don't want you here". At two stations after this the whole gang of fruit pickers got out, some of them drinking, and our friend (the stormy one) waving her basket over the head and shaking her fist in the guard's face and making a tremendous row about her boxes.

At Paddington we got out and went by the under-ground railway to Portland Street from where we walked home. Mama went to a dinner party at Aunt Fay's.

Her London season continued apace, while all the time she was meeting old acquaintances and making new ones. At the end it must have been a relief to return to the pastoral tranquility of Carmarthenshire.

[Back in Wales]

Archery Meeting at Llandilo
On Wednesday the 14th of July Mamma and I went to the archery meeting at Llandilo. We started from home about 10 and after doing some shopping at Carmarthen, we went by the 1 train to Llandilo Bridge where we arrived soon after 2. The Prices of Oaklands went in the same carriage with us. The proper time for the shooting to begin was 1, but we had written about a week before to Mr Bishop the Hon Sec to ask him to wait for the 2 o'clock train by which others besides ourselves would come, as if they did not we should have to start at 7 in the morning and wait four or five hours at Llandilo as there was no other train we could come by. The Sec had promised us he would do what he could to delay the shooting. Mrs Gulston had asked us to stay with her for the meeting which we had declined and we had asked her also to keep the shooting back, as we knew she was always at least half an hour late herself and as she was the ruling power there, she could easily have done it if she chose. We had accepted her offer of sending her carriage for us to take us up to the ground, so we found it waiting at the station, but the shooting had already begun, and when I joined the shooters they had shot nearly a dozen arrows. When I proposed shooting my nine arrows (which I had missed) afterwards I received a most decided refusal from Mrs Gulston. I found that she had kept every body waiting 3 quarters of an hour though she had only a few miles to drive in, and she would not let them wait ten minutes more for us, though we had asked her to. Every body else (shooters included) agreed that I ought to be allowed to, and the captain of our target, Mr Phillips, said to me, "When the others have done say you nothing about it, but just shoot on and I will score it for you". This I accordingly did but only got two arrows in as it was rather a trying position with every one looking on and Mrs G looking ferocious. I had been shooting well before, at least making a great many hits though not much by score as they were almost all blacks and whites.

There was no dinner provided by the Cawdor Arms people, but Mrs Gulston had a table provided for her friends, and the Bishops had another. The latter invited me to theirs, while Mamma went to Mrs Gulston's. As soon as we had finished Mrs Gulston came up to me while I was talking to Miss Bishop and asked me why I had not come to her table. I was very nearly saying "because you did not invite me", but I replied that Miss Bishop had asked me to theirs. To this she answered (by way of snubbing Miss Bishop) that she hoped I had had something to eat before. She then went off into a rage about my shooting after the others and quite worked herself into a passion about it declaring that such a thing had never been heard of before, and that as I had set it a precedent, her daughter who was not always punctual should in future always come as late as she liked and should be allowed to make up her arrows afterwards. To this I replied that as the shooting had not begun punctually at 1, but they had waited 3 quarters of an hour for three who could have come in at the right time if they chose, they might have waited a few minutes more for us, but as they had not done so I was quite justified in shooting my arrows afterwards. Mrs G raised her voice very much and tried to talk me down, and then she began to [talk] about it to Miss Bishop talking at me all the time, till I made my escape leaving her giving tongue vociferously. After shooting at 50 I was told by Mr Phillips that I had got a prize, but in half an hour afterwards I received a severe disappointment on being told there was some mistake and that Miss Bishop would get two instead of our each having one; they had thought before that one person could not get two, but as one was given by a private person it had not the same restrictions as a club prize. My number of hits was only one less than Miss Bishop. The prizes which were a scent bottle and workbasket were won by the two Miss Bishops, and the prize given by Mr E. Bishop was given to the second Miss Bishop who had also got the workbasket. As soon as it was all over we walked to the station and after waiting a long time for the train we got off and reached home about 9.

Account of Visit to the Biddulphs
Saturday, showery and windy day, Mamma and I started at 12 in the carriage with Deacon and Williams, drove to Kidwelly station. Mr Maliphant got out of the train as we got in, talked to him a little. Baron de Rutzen was in the same carriage as we were and we soon found that he was also going to Mrs Biddulphs. At Llanelly, Mrs Gulston, Lizzie, her maid and man and 39 articles (viz. luggage and loose packages) were waiting for the train. The two former got into our carriage by Mrs Gulston, so we were a large merry party, all destined (curiously enough) for the same place. The elders, viz. Mrs G. Mrs J, and the Baron were in one compartment; and the juniors, Lizzie, Mrs Pemberton and I in the other. At Llandore we changed for Swansea where we arrived about 2. We stayed there for about an hour shopping, etc, and I got some capital greengages and very cheap 24 for 6, or 4 a penny.

On coming back to the station we were about to take a flie to Dirwin but Williams (with his usual intelligence) told us he had put all our boxes etc in a carriage that had been sent from Dirwin. We thought there must be some mistake, for they would not have sent one carriage for so large a party as they expected. However after asking a few questions from the coachman we reluctantly got in. He told us that Mr Biddulph was "in town" and we were to pick him up. After driving about Swansea for a short time and passing the Gulstons once or twice going about shopping, we suddenly came upon Mr and Mrs Biddulph walking. We pulled up and soon learnt that they had come in the carriage to meet some old invalid uncle whom they expected. We then of course insisted on getting out and taking a file in which we proceeded to Dirwin being told by Mrs B that we should find Miss Chambers there to receive us. This however we did not do and had to ask the servants to show us to our rooms or rather room, and we only had one. On coming down afterwards we found Miss Chambers making tea in the little room where the Gulstons had arrived. The gentlemen came soon afterwards and with them a Mr Phillips who also got into our train at Llanelly but was in another carriage. He and Mr Pemberton slept every night of their visit in a small inn near as Mrs Biddulph could not find room for them in the house. The Biddulphs soon afterwards arrived with Mr Martin the old uncle. Miss Chambers and her youngest brother, and Baron de Rutzen were also staying in the house, so we were a large party. After tea we dressed for dinner. There was a dinner party of 16. We were 12 in the house so only 4 more came. There were some Edens but I forget who the others were. I think Mr and Mrs Wilmot. I went in to dinner with Mr Phillips. There was singing and billiards in the evening.

Sunday. Fine, very bright and warm. We all went to a very pretty church at Sketty in the morning. We went in two carriages and some walked. I went with Mrs Biddulph, Mamma, Miss Chambers and Lizzie, in the waggonette. Sketty church is very pretty indeed. The service and singing is conducted quite like All Saints. There was a large and fashionable congregation, amongst them Lord Cawdor's family who were staying with the Vivians. After we came home some of the party looked over my torture book and many of them answered the questions in it I put to them. This went on after lunch. At 3 Lizzie, Mr Pemberton and I went for a walk and visited several of the poor people about the Mumbles who were well known to Lizzie as they (the Gulstons) formerly lived in that neighbourhood. We had rather fun at one or two places in passing off Mr P as Lizzie's brother and asking if they did not think him much grown and improved. They generally found great likenesses in him to his family. At one place we planted a rhododendron flower on a long stem under a glass cover, and then asked the good woman of the house who Lizzie was talking to, what curious plant she had growing there and assuring her it was a great curiosity. The good woman came to see it and then laughingly told us one of her children had stuck it in there, and then appealing to a little girl who stood near she asked her if she had done it. The child was the most accomodating witness in the world, for she without the slightest hesitation immediately answered in the affirmative and really believed what she said I think. We then went to look at "Woodlands" where the Gulstons formerly lived. It is a nice house built something in the style of a castle and covered with ivy. It was all in a state of repair as the owner (one of the Vivians) was shortly coming to live there.

On returning to Derwin we found all the rest of the party sitting out on the lawn having tea. We joined them and found it very pleasant after our long hot walk sitting there in the cool of the evening. We dined quite quietly at 8, and in the evening we all sang hymns.

Monday. Fine very hot and sultry. Lizzie not very well did not come down till 11. Then she went for a walk with me accompanied by some of the old birds who when they heard we were going out said they would cone too; they were Mamma, Mrs. Gulston and the poor unhappy Baron, who always seemed in a state of chronic melancholy. Lizzie and I tried to escape his company by walking fast, and as his legs were short he could not keep up with us but was obliged to fall back in the rear with the chaperones. We went to two nursery gardeners, where both M and Mrs G made large investments. We came home at 1, hot and weary from our sultry and dusty walk. A lot of visitors called before lunch. At 3 Mrs B, Mamma, Baron de R, Lizzie and I went in the carriage along the Swansea Road. When we got as far as the Vivian's Park, Lizzie and I got out and walked, the others going on to Swansea where they had some business to do. I forgot to say that Mr Pemberton and Mrs Phillips left Derwin early that morning as they had to remain to their business at Llanelly and Pembrey. Lizzie and I walked through Singleton Park, and home through some lanes. We had great fun with one or two old women we went to see. On returning we joined the tea party on the lawn, and the torture book was brought out and several unhappy people put through their confusions. There was a fresh arrival in the shape of a Mr Vaughne, a very meek individual who, when he talked which was very seldom, spoke in a very low tone of voice. Just as we were dressing for dinner Miss Pryce (whom we met at Pentre in the winter) arrived having driven a pair of ponies 30 to 40 miles that day from her home. She did not appear till after dinner as she had not time to dress. There was a party of 18, singing and billiards in the evening. Went in to dinner with the Baron.

Tuesday. Had an early breakfast with Mr Biddulph at 9, as we had to start early on our journey home. After breakfast played billiards for a short time with Lizzie and some of the gentlemen. Mr Pemberton and Mr Phillips, had, to our astonishment, turned up at dinner time, yesterday. We thought they had left for good, which however they did not do till today going by a later train than we did. We took leave of everybody and left Derwin in a flie soon after 10 and drove into Swansea where we did more shopping, and I invested in more greengages at the same cheap rate as before. Went by train to Kidwelly where we arrived at 12. Drove home and found all (my noble Bully included) quite well.

From here on I have precied some of the entries.

Second Archery Meeting at Llandilo
Fri. 27 Sep. Misty. Mamma, Minnie and I got up at 5. went by carriage to Carm. Then by 7.40 train to Llandilo, then by omnibus to Cawdor Arms, where we stayed the morning. Mr C. Bishop came into the room "and broke the monotony of the morning by talking about the Club rows, etc". Ordered a trap by 12 o'clock. It was a dog-cart "We got into the machine which was a matter of some difficulty as the steps were high and I am afraid Mamma made rather an expose or as Louy would say showed a good deal of 'jambeau' ". "We drove up to Dynevor Castle, not the ruin, but the present abode of Lord Dynevor. It is an ugly house and has been patched up lately for the purpose of improving it, in which I think they have not succeeded. There are four funny little turrets on each corner, and the whole appearance of the place is something like a house made out of barley sugar or something of the kind. The view from it and the old castle is I believe splendid but we could not see what it was like on such a misty day. We drove through the park, and back to the Cawdor Arms". Bought a pair of goloshes at Llandilo as the ground was wet. A party of the shooters including the diarist went by omnibus. The driver drove fast and recklessly down a steep hill much to their fear. Arrived at the shooting ground, and found people in the tent. Still drizzling. Minnie shot for the 'Strangers' Prize, a pair of candlesticks, and also "a Miss Lewis a very masculine looking individual". The Cawdor Arms did not provide dinner as it didn't pay. People brought sandwiches, cakes, &c. It rained nearly all the time of the shooting. Mrs Gulston and Miss Young arrived at about 3 from Tenby, but soon left as they had to go back to Tenby to a ball. Prizes 1st. Miss Bishop. 2nd another Miss Bishop. I got a prize, a very nice seal skin purse lined with blue watered silk. Returned to tea at Cawdor Arms, joined by the C. Morris's, the Long Pryces, Miss P. Pryce, and others. left in omnibus for station, and went by 7 train to Carmarthen, and drove home in the open carriage.

Our 2nd dinner party [the first being given the previous evening]
Nov 29. Fri. 14. we were 6 ourselves the others, Mr and Mrs Thompson, Mr and Mrs Owen Jones, and Mr and Mrs Price. Mrs Saunders Davies sang "Vive la Compagnie" again, and brought in by my request the names of Bully, Sandy and the little "yellow bird, whose voice is seldom heard". She brought in Bully's in this way "Here's another you'd agree with me fully, Here's to the health of the noble Bully". And Sandy thus "and now to another whose legs are bandy, Here's to the health of poor little Sandy". Mrs Price, Mrs Thompson and I propounded riddles to one another in the evening. Mrs Saunders Davies told us the story of awful paws (pause).

Dinner Party at the Crosses at Iscoed
Thurs 12 Dec. Papa, Mamma, Arthur and I. 14 at dinner Mr and Mrs Thompson, Mr and Miss Bishop, and the French Consul. Mr and Mrs Owen Wilson "he a very vulgar man, and she somewhat resembling an actress and something like Lady Audley with long yellow hair". "Mrs Wilson sang several songs very well but in a peculiar style". "Mr Wilson favoured us with some exceedingly vulgar songs most of which were parodies but very badly done by himself. One was a parody on 'Paddle your own canoe' in which a rising barrister (which I suppose he considered himself to be) was told that if he wanted to get on he must suck up to attorneys, and the refrain of every verse was "and marry an attorney's daughter", which besides been very vulgar was in very bad taste, as there was an attorney and his daughter present, whom he knew very well, viz Mr and Mrs Bishop. Another parody of his in the "Brook" was still worse, at the end of every verse was "I'll flirt on for ever" in which a lady was represented kissing and proposing to a gentleman. He sung another song, not quite so bad as the others, called 'Laura'. The chorus to it haunted me in my mind for some time afterwards "Laura, Laura, Frederick's come, Put on your bonnet my dear, Never look angry or glum, Wait till you'r married my dear' ". Left a little before 11, before any of the others.

Here are some prettied entries concerning her London visit in 1868:

Hermione Hamilton's Wedding
Tues 25 Feb. Minnie was married to Mr Walter Rogers at St Paul's church in Onslow Square. I was a bridesmaid. "We had handsome gold lockets given us with the Hermione ship engraved on them. These we wore round the neck with cerise ribbon and a gold chain". [This is a reminder of the recapture of the British frigate 'Hermione' from a Spanish port in 1799 by an ancestor, Capt. Edward Hamilton, later Admiral Sir Edward Hamilton, of Trebinshwn, Breconshire.] Papa, Mamma, Richie, Louy all attended, but Mamma did not go to church owing to her bronchitis and remained at the Hamilton's house in Onslow Gardens. She was given away by Sir Charles Hamilton.

Mrs Darby Griffiths' Party
Wed 25 March. Richie and I went. a large evening party. good music. "the only performer I knew by sight was Brinley Richards". Mrs D. Griffith played the harp, accompanied by Brinley Richards on the piano.

Mrs Barrett Lennard's dinner party
Fri 27 March. Papa and I. "I went down to dinner with Capt Stirling who was captain of the ship the Prince of Wales went to America in before his marriage".

After this London visit she went abroad for 15 months, but was back in England again in the summer of 1869.


Visit to Crickhowell
Sat 16 - Tues 21 Oct. Mamma and I went to stay with Mr and Mrs A. Traherne at Glan y dwr, Crickhowell. "We drove to Carmarthen and went by the Llandilo railway to Builth Road where we changed for Brecon. Took an omnibus at Brecon station and drove to the Castle Hotel where we took a private omnibus and drove to Crickhowell. Brecon seemed a very nice town and better shops almost than Carmarthen. Crickhowell is about 14 miles from Brecon and we took 2 hours or more driving there besides half an hour which we stopped at Trebinshan where Mamma lived as a girl. We went over the house where a bettermost sort of farmer lives now, and Mamma recognized the rooms she inhabited as a girl. Passed Glanusk Park where Sir Joseph Bayley lives, which is a very fine place with a large extensive park.

Got to Crickhowell "(a pretty well-to-do looking little pleasure town with numerous villas and gentlemen's houses) at about 6". arrived at Glan y dwr "a pretty little place", and received by Mr and Mrs Traherne. Sunday went to church a.m. Dined at 1. Had meat tea at 6. Monday Mr Traherne drove Mamma and I out in their tea cart. Mrs Alfred Crawshay of Danypark dined here in the evening, and I sang and played chess with Mr Traherne. Tuesday played croquet in afternoon. Played chess with Mr T in evening. Wednesday Went to call at Llangattock Court where Mrs Morgan lives. Went in the carriage. Then out to Danypark "to lunch with the Crawshays, the family at home consisted of a stiff proud mother and two awkward ill-mannered daughters". Left at 2. At Crickhowell bought a catskin bonnet. played chess in evening with Mr T. Tuesday market day at Crickhowell. "Mr T bought Mamma a basket and me a little book as a fairing, and Mrs T gave me a little mug with Welsh costumes on it". Left for Talgarth Station in a hired flie. "The country all round very pretty, the hills much higher and the soil redder than Carmarthenshire: had a good view of Trebinshan and Treberfyd from the distance. Got home about 8 o'clock".


Visit to the Gulstons
Wed 2 Feb. I went to stay at Dirleton for Lizzie Gulston's wedding. "Drove to Carmarthen with Motta and paddled about in the wet there trying to get a bonnet which I could not succeed in doing". Met the Crosses at the station and travelled in train with them and Mrs Herbert Evans. The Crosses got out at Llandilo, and Mrs Evans went on stay with her uncle at Blanos. I got out at Llangadock and got to the Gulstons at 3 in a carriage they had sent to meet me at the station. "A triumphal arch was erected over the entrance to their grounds". Shown into dining room where I found the whole party at luncheon except Mrs G "who was as usual writing letters". The party consisted of Miss Gulston, Lizzie, and Mr Ellis, all the young Gulstons, Mr Kempson the best man "remarkably handsome", Mr. Loppett 2nd best man, Major and Mrs Gavine, Miss Collier (cousin of the Gulstons), young Jones of Pantglas, Mr and Mrs Gulston.

"After lunch, a deputation of servants came in and presented Lizzie with a handsome locket for which she thanked them in a short speech". We then looked at the presents exhibited in the boudoir, very numerous, and ticketed with donors' names. dined and played cards in the evening.

Thursday fine. sunny. Woke early by the firing of guns from behind the house which went on at intervals throughout the day. Had "a scrambling breakfast", and I sat next the "happy man who appeared somewhat nervous". At 10 carriages came round and we set out for church. Groups of people cheered along the road. Numerous arches erected along road and in the principal street of Llandilo, about 9 or 10 with mottos and sentences wishing long life and happiness to Mr and Mrs Ellis. The way from road to church was carpeted and covered with awning, and the schoolchildren (dressed in red cloaks and hats given them by Mrs Gulston) stood in rows on each side and scattered flowers before the bride as she entered the church. 7 bridesmaids waited at door, viz Mrs Gulston, Miss Giveen and Miss Collier (cousins), Miss Drummond, Miss Wood, Miss Jones (Pantglas) and Miss Peel (a young child). The organ was played by Arthur Gulston, and as the wedding party entered he struck up the 'March of the Priests' from Costa's 'Eli'. Lizzie was led up the church by her father, followed by her bridesmaids, and Mrs G and her eldest son. Service was read by Rev Mr Atkins (uncle of Mrs Gulston) assisted by Mr Griffiths and Mr Williams. Then signing register and congratulations, and we returned, walking 2 by 2 down the church to our carriages, and returned to Dirleton. "The people cheered, the bells rang, and guns were fired as we left the church". Wedding breakfast at Dirleton at 12. Sat with Mr H. Peel, Miss Price (Talley), Miss A Lloyd, and little Miss Peel and little Hugh Drummond. "a good deal of speechifying which was good fun". Lizzie then went to change, and she and Mr Ellis departed to the station "amid a shower of satin shoes" they were going first to Shrewsbury, then London, Brighton, Paris and finally Algiers. We changed, then a little walk, and dinner and dancing in the evening. Friday damp showery. "read the flaming accounts of the wedding in the Welsh papers". dinner in evening, about 60 or 70 people. Jones's band played. ended with a cotillon.

Saturday cold. left Dirleton about 1, went to station in an open carriage. Then to Llandilo Carmarthen.

[She had a cold throughout the wedding which limited her enjoyment].

Visit to the Gowers
Tues. 29 March. at Clyn Derwen. Train from Kidwelly to Narberth Road station, and met there at 12 by Mr and Mrs Gower and drove to the house in their brougham. "The house is red brick and lately built by Mr Gower, everything outside is unfinished but the inside is very comfortable and nice, and the drawing room is a very pretty room". Baron de Rutzen, Captain Gower, and Georgie Gower for luncheon. Later Col and Mrs Leith Hay arrived, she is 1st cousin to the Gowers. Played bezique in the evening. Wednesday Fine and bright but cold and windy. After breakfast we all went to Llanboidy races, in carriages, 6 miles off. drove on to Maesguinne where "there was a great spread in the dining room, and a great many people assembled who at 12 o'clock appeared as eager to devour turkey and to pitch into champagne as though they had not seen food for hours". lunched by installments. Mrs Powell presided at the feast. introduced to young Sartoris who was to ride Mr Powell's horses. About 1 drove to the race course. Paid 2/6 to enter the grand stand which had windows all round. Young Jones won one race on his own horse, and Mr Sartoris won one for Mrs Powell. over at 6. home after 7. Played chess with Capt Gower.

Thursday fine. Went to a pigeon shooting match at Maesguinne held at race course. Lunch at Maesgwinne. Mrs Powell took us over the stables which are very extensive and contain upwards of 40 horses. We also saw the foxhounds. A race between Mr Morris Owen's horse ridden by Mr Sartoris and Mr A. Jones's horse ridden by himself, was won by the latter. Played chess in evening.

Friday Fine. Col L. Hay and Georgie went hunting. Grace and I sang in the morning, walked in afternoon with B. de Rutzen, Gracie, and Capt Gower. Mr and Mrs Macauley and a curate came to dinner. Afterwards danced in the hall, and played cards.

Saturday fine. Baron de R. left at 11 for his home. In afternoon Gracie and I went in carriage "to see a very picturesque castle about 4 or 5 miles off". "Coming back we called on Archdeacon Clark's wife and saw her and her two daughters, wonderful speciments of rusticity dressed in the most rural manner but very strong minded highly educated people". played chess in the evening.

Sunday Fine. We went to church at Narberth about 6 miles. Rather a nice town "but a miserable church service very badly performed". Went to see the castle. After lunch labelled and planted the "Hermonia violetta Bianca". Capt G. read prayers in the evening at home.

Monday left and walked to station, got to Kidwelly about I, met by Mamma and drove home.

Visit to Pentre for the Hunt Week
Mama, Louy and I. Monday 18 April. Drove to Carmarthen station, Miss Louise Jones and Miss Morris in the train with us, also Mr G. Phillips and Mr T. Morris. A carriage we had ordered met us at Llandyssil, and we drove in it to Pentre, stopping at Cenarth for Louy to see the falls. Arrived at Pentre at 5. tea. then dressed. a large party staying in the house Captain, Mrs and Miss Stokes, Miss Crymes sister of Mrs Stokes, Major, Mrs and Miss Smith, Mrs Harries of Aberglasney and Miss Pryse, Miss Lloyd, Captain G. Phillips, Mr T. Morris, Mr Richards, Mr Morris Owen, Mr Bishop (Mr S. Davies's medical attendant). At dinner Mr S. Davies sat next to his wife who fed him like a baby, he was quite unable to speak and seemed half paralysed, he had the most dreadful fits of coughing and choking in middle of dinner. Danced in evening, and Mrs S. Davies and Mr Bishop sang.

Tuesday played croquet a.m. Mr S. Davies was wheeled to the ground in his chair and Miss Lloyd lighted his cigars for him. the gentlemen sat in a group, smoking, on another part of the ground. After dinner went to the ball [? at Cardigan].

Wednesday Came down at 12. 40-50 to lunch. Afterwards we went to the race course. about a mile away. I walked there with Mr G. Phillips who was in a great state of excitement about his horse "Admiral" who was going to run. We got to the course and mounted the Pentre wagonette and had a good view. "The "Admiral" won the first race, but fell in the next, when Mr Powell's horse won. At dinner "I went in with Mr Scourfield a frightfully absent man who scarcely ever spoke". danced afterwards.

Thursday Hounds met at Pentre at 11, a large crowd. We followed on foot and I was escorted by Mr Grismond Phillips. On return a large party at lunch. Then croquet in afternoon. Dinner. afterwards went to the ball [at Cardigan?].

Friday carne down at 11. Looked at Miss Price's torture book. Left Pentre at 1, in the flie that brought us home, drove to Llandissil, thence home.

[In London]

The Queen's drawing room
Tuesday 10 May. Papa, Mamma, Louy, and I. Louy was to be presented, was in white with apple blossoms in her hair, 2 festoons of it about her skirt. My dress just the same. Mamma wore white corded silk dress trimmed with point lace and a green corded silk train. Papa wore his D.L.'s uniform. "Maggie came to see us dressed and on this eventful day Richie proposed to her while we were dressing, and Major Millett proposed to Sissie at the Academy". Started at to 1, "but came back from the Regent's Circus for mamma's eyeglass which detained us a little. We found a long line of carriages formed along the bird cage walk (or whatever the drive is called leading up to the Pallace) and we had to wait for nearly an hour before the carriages began to stir a bit as no one was admitted at the Palace till 2. We went through very nearly the same suite of appartments as before with the same slow state and wearisome waiting penned up in separate rooms. The Queen was gone by the time we arrived, and we were received by the Princess, the Princesses Louise and Beatrice, the Prince of Wales and others. We afterwards met Aunt Fay and Aggie. Gillas who had been presented was gone. We had to wait a long time for our carriage and there was a great crush to get out".

The Bentley's dance
Thurs. June 2. Mamma, Louy, Richie, Maggie, and I. danced in the front room on a drugget and the chaperones sat in the back room. Regi Corbett took me down to supper. I danced with a brother officer of R. Corbett, another was heavy and stolid, and another was handsome but conceited. Left at 2.

Our first dinner
Tuesday 7 June. I went down with Mr Ellis and had a ladle full of mint sauce poured in my lap.

[There follow many enteries concerning dinner parties and social visits, some outside London].

Lady Jodrell's Concert
Wed 8 June. about 400, frightfully hot. very little ventilation. singers Titiens, Trebelli, Bettini, and Sessi, the men Graziani, Bagagiolo, and Bettini, and Tito Mattei at the piano. Mr Rogers took me down to have an ice in the interval; and Captain Bond the Guardsman whom I met last Sunday and whose name I only discovered this evening, took me down to supper. "He was very nice indeed and I had quite a flirtation for the first time in my life".

Sir James and Lady Hamilton's dinner
Fri. 10 June. "I was taken down by a red-headed youth, son of Lady Catherine Allen who lives in Pembrokeshire; he was a very stupid youth, and the whole party was pompous and heavy".

Sissie's wedding
Wed 15 June. Sissie Watson married Major Millett at All Soul's church. Bridesmaids Maggie, Rose, Miss Cowie, Miss Bromley, and I. Mr Cowie performed the marriage service. "I was escorted down the church by young Cowie, an intellectual muff, and returned in the carriage with him, and Mrs Haldare, and Col Watson. A standing breakfast.

Uncle William's dinner at the Crystal Palace
Tues. 19 July. We took a party of 11. Met at the Alhambra at 5. "Afternoon I went with Rose in search of my bustle, a new one, I had dropped. I enquired of a man, much to Rose's horror, at the lost property department, but did not recover it". Sat down to dinner at 6: it lasted 2 hours. Left about 10. The coachman lost his way home and we had to ask numbers of people our way, did not get back till near 12.

Mrs Schewster's party at Roehampton
Sat. 23 July. Aunt Fay, Aggie and I. Among those there were Miss Shiel and Miss Colquhoun, both whom we met at Cannes and whom I cut on principle. band. "capital dancing dogs were exhibited as well as a Punch and Judy Show". left at 7.

Richie's and Maggie's wedding
"On Thursday the 4th of August Richie and Maggie were married at All Soul's Church by Mr Townsend. Richie was calm and composed and read the paper quietly till 10 when he arranged himself in his wedding garments and left here at 11 and walked to the church. Louy and I dressed ourselves in my room at 10 and left here with Mamma in our carriage at 11. On arriving at the church we found all the bridesmaids assembled in the porch, and several of the wedding party besides. Our bridesmaid's dresses were white tarlatane, trimmed with rose-coloured satin bows, white bonnets and veils and a rose in front, blue enamel lockets given us by Richie and lovely bouquets also given us by him of pink geraniums and white stephanotis. After we arrived came Sissie and Major Millets, Lady Belcher, Mr Stewart and Aunt Louisa and Charles Mayne. Then came our little pink bride looking very "lubly" supported by her father and mother on each side; her mother fell on one side on entering the church, and Posie and I followed close on the bride on her way up to the altar. We were followed by Louy and Fay, and Aggie and Miss Haldane. Mr Townsend then recited the service by heart in rather a pecular manner and ended with giving as an extempore address instead of the exhortation, which ends with amazement. We then proceeded to the vestry where we signed our names and then, escorted by our respective young men, returned to Harley Street in this order Maggie and Richie in our carriage, Posie and Arthur, Mr Entwistle and me in the Watson's carriage, and then the other bridesmaids and guests. Willy took Miss Haldane. Mr Ingles junior was to have taken Louy but did not appear in time. Mr Stewart took Fay, and Charles Hayne was to have taken Agnes but no one told him. The Curwens came to the breakfast and General Hamilton and his daughters, Mrs Admiral Hamilton, Mr Ingles and his son and daughter, Hay Hill, the Trents, Aunt Fay, and Mr Rogers and many others. Loulou and Charles of course came up for the wedding, so it was a regular family gathering. The breakfast was at 12 and the bridesmaids and their young men were the only ones admitted with the bride and bridegroom. Then we retired with Maggie to dress her up, while Richie returned to Portland Place to change his clothes and to put away the pearls Maggie wore. Her wedding dress was white with silk prettily trimmed with hanging sleeves, and a veil of Isle of Wight lace. The dress she went off in was a light grey silk suit and white bonnet with blue flowers and maraboles. There was a dreadful scene at the parting of the sisters and all wept copiously, especially Sissie who would not see her again before going to India for three years. Richie did not come back for a quarter of an hour after Maggie was ready to go and as that time was spent in tearful adieus to her sisters it was rather miserable. At last Richie appeared again and carried Maggie off in a carriage hired for the occasion. Bird scattered flowers before them on their way to the carriage, and Rose, Louy and I flung our bouquets into the carriage after them. We got home at 1 and went to the Prince of Wales Theatre in the evening, where curiously enough we found Mrs Watson sitting behind us in the stalls; the rest of the Watson family had gone to a dinner given by Mrs Haldane at the Crystal Palace. The first piece was called "Dearest Mamma", an interfering cantankerous mother in law who can't be got out of her daughter's house. The second piece was 'M.P.', and the last "Quite by Accident". The Prince of Wales was in the theatre during 'M.P.'"

[Back in Wales]

Visit to Pentre
Wed. 5 Oct. Mamma, Louy and I, with Bird and George went to stay at Pentre for the Fancy dress ball there. At Carmarthen we met Miss Jones who came in the train with us to Llandissil, Miss E. Morris was also in the train with us, going to stay with her sister Mrs Vaughan. Miss Jones was going to stay with the Macdonalds, she had just come from Dirleton and was full of Mrs Gulston's report of what the ball was to be like. The carriage we had ordered met us at Llandissil, and got to Pentre at 5. great preparations going on an awning from one of the windows of the ball room, the interior decorated with festoons of artificial roses coloured lamps in the hall, Prince of Wales feathers. &c, groups of flags. large party staying in house. Major and Mrs Turberville, Miss Beat, Mr and Mrs Tyler, Major Fielden, Mr Scourfield, Miss Lloyd, Miss Pryse, Miss Crymes, Miss Stokes, and Miss Davies. We were packed close. one of us to sleep with Mamma, and one in 'the barracks' a large room where 3 other girls slept Miss Beat in one bed, the Misses Crymes and Stokes in another, and I in the third. Not much liking my companions, at least the 2 latter, I did all my dressing and undressing in Mamma's room, and only slept in the barracks. Then dined and had music in the evening.

Thursday. breakfast and luncheon in library. Played croquet, then a walk. Several gentlemen arrived Mr Richards, Mr Mirehouse, and three officers Mr Spencer Stanhope, Mr Twyne, and Captain Denny. Mr and Mrs Beckwith arrived. There were 24 staying in the house not counting the Saunders Davies'. Dinner in library at 6. afterwards dressed for the ball. Guests began to arrive at 9. "Mamma dressed first and her powdering, patching, and rouging took a considerable time". She wore a handsome old brocaded dress of her great-grandmother. I dressed as Diana in a dress designed by myself and made at home, and looked very effective; a silver and green quiver on my back, and a silver and green bow in my hand: I wore a silver necklace of 6 rows of small silver heads around my neck and errings to match. Guests arrived and announced by their fictitious titles. Louy was dressed with 3 rows of gold beads and earrings to match as ornaments. Jones's band in attendance, in a tent just outside. The chaperones sat in the drawing room. tea and coffee on the landing of the staircase which was illuminated and hung with roses. Ices and refreshments in the hall. The library kept for cloaks. Supper in the dining room. About 150 altogether, more ladies than gentlemen. I danced with Mr Spencer Stanhope (9 times!), Mr Twyne, Captain Denny, Mr Scourfield, Major Fielden, Mr Beckwith, Captain Saurin, Major Sladen, and Captain Macdonald. Ball went on till past 5. I was so tired that I sent Louy to the barracks and I slept in Mamma's room.


Our Dinner Parties
While Sir J and Lady Hamilton were staying with us we had 2 dinner parties on 16 and 17 Nov. We were 16 on first day.

Carmarthen Races
Tues. 7 Feb. Papa, Louy, and I drove to Carmarthen races, about 3 miles from Carmarthen on the St Clears road. crowded. Went to the second floor of the grandstand which is kept for ladies, the men going on the roof, the lower part kept for refreshments and for a weighing room. Mr Gower, his son and daughters and a friend, "Capt Bragg" a pompous conceited piece of humanity, the Miss Morris's, Mr Sartoris and his son and daughter, the Powells, Mrs Harries, Miss P. Price, etc. The 1st race, the "Admiral", Capt G. Phillips's horse, won, Mr Powell's horse won another race.

The Carmarthen Ball
Thurs. 9 Feb. Papa, Louy, and I. started soon after 9 and not back till 5. Badly attended. I danced with Mr Grismond Phillips (one of the stewards), Capt Gower, Mr Scourfield, Mr Twine (who was engaged to be married to Miss Lloyd), Mr Peel of Ferryside, and a Mr V. Peel who was introduced to me by Mrs Gulston. Capt Bragg, Mr Morgan, &c.

[In London]

Our Visit to Cambridge
Mon. 15 May. Papa, Louy, Edward and I went to Cambridge to see Arthur. left from King's Cross Station. we engaged a room at Bull Hotel, Cambridge, then walked to Jesus College, and groped up a dark low ceiling till we arrived at Arthur's rooms. His bedmaker (a lady in a bonnet which they tell me she never takes off) showed us into his sitting room when the table was laid for lunch and where we found Arthur. He called in two of his friends Mr Wilmot and Mr Baldwin, and then proceeded to partake of Arthur's hospitality . . . We first did Jesus College and inspected the dining hall and the chapel which old and curious . . . we then went to see St Johns College, Trinity Hall, and Trinity .... crossed over the Bridge of Sighs .... King's Chapel.

Tuesday went to see Pembroke College and the chapel at Pater House, Fitzwillian Museum, &c, &c. went back to London for Lady Belcher's party.

Mr. Pulsford's dinner
17 June. "I went down with a Mr Bowles, a very eccentric individual who had been in Paris during the siege and written a book on the subject and been a correspondent of the Morning Post during that time and who was also the Editor of a newspaper called Vanity Fair".

Our Dinner
23 June. 12. "It was very slow in the evening and Charles (Hayne) fell asleep while I was talking to him".


The Crosse's Croquet Party
Aug 10. at Iscoed. played till 7, then had high tea, then music.

Picnic at Kidwelly Castle
Aug 15. The Crosses, Prices, and ourselves got up a picnic at Kidwelly Castle. beautiful day. we were. about 50-60, though we had asked a great many more. present the Crosses, Mr Price, Miss Andrews, Capt and Mrs Leeds, the Peels, Asletts, two Miss Morris', Mr Rees of Cilymaenllwyd, Mr Maliphant, Mr Dudley Thompson, Mr and Mrs Mansel, &c, &c, dined in the inner court, Jones's band played. we then played croquet in the outer court while the band and servants dined. Then had tea. began dancing at 5 which we kept up with great spirit till 8. had Sir Roger de Coverley. Mrs Lewis of Stradey and Mrs Morris arrived at 5 but only stayed a short time. All left soon after 8.

Visit to Stradey
Aug 23. Papa, Mamma, Louy and I went, to dine and sleep. Mrs Morris, Mrs Mirehouse and her half brother Capt Lewis staying in the house. Mr Lewis not well enough to appear, after dinner had music and invoked the spirits. Next morning I played billiards with Mrs Morris and played the harmonium. left at 2.

With the Gowers
21 Sept. I went with Bird to stay with the Gowers. From Kidwelly station at 12 and got to Narberth Road at 1 where a carriage awaited us. Arrived at Clynderwen. After luncheon, dressed to go to a croquet party and dance, went by the brougham with Grace and Georgie and Mr Gower, for 6 miles to a very pretty place called Henllys [recte Henllan] where Mr and Mrs Lewis live. Mrs Lewis received us in the hall where she offered us tea or cider cup, and then showed us on to a large lawn under some fine trees where a large number of people were assembled playing croquet, bowls, and other games, and others at archery further off. I recognised Mr Lewis (nephew and heir to our host). Mr and Mrs Macauley, Mrs Clark the archdeacon's wife, played croquet. Then had tea in the house. Mr Lewis introduced me to Mr Longford a clergyman and Oxford friend of his, with whom I danced several times in course of the evening and who was a very good dancer. We danced in the hall after tea, to a small band of a man and two little boys on rather feeble instruments. It was a very jolly dance and there was music and singing between the dances. Mr Lewis' junior sang, and Grace Gower, Mrs Corbett, and others. The refreshments were beer and cider cup. I danced with Mr Lewis, Mr Longford, Mr A. Lascelles, Mr Yelverton, and others. Mr Leslie asked me twice but I was both times engaged. We left about 12 or 12. Friday went for walk, played croquet. Saturday returned home. at station met Miss Lloyd of Pentre who was going to stay with Mrs Jones of Llanmilo: and Mrs Saunders Davies who had been staying at Williamston.

The Haverfordwest Ball
Nov 22. Papa, Louy and I and Bird. Train Carmarthen to Haverfordwest. The Gowers joined us at Narberth. From Haverfordwest station by omnibus to Castle Hotel where they got bedrooms. After 8 they prepared for the ball, and went to it in the omnibus. very steep stone steps leading into the ballroom. I danced with Mr Lascelles Mr Scourfield senior, ditto junior, Capt Study, Capt Gower, Messers Evans, Leslie, and Spencer Stanhope. left about 4-5. next morning breakfasted at 9. then did shopping. went by 11 train to Carmarthen where our carriage met us.

Visit to Fynone
Louy and I, and Bird (servant). Mon 4 Dec. Coach to Carmarthen. train 12 to Narberth Road where carriage met them at Iron Duke Hotel to take them to Colbys at Fynone, 16 miles. reached Fynone at 5. On the way we met Mrs S. Davies and her husband in his chair, and Miss Lloyd, Mrs Lewis Clynview, and Miss Brenchley. Had tea in the library at Fynone, those staying there Capt and Mrs Higgon, Mrs and Miss Clark (her niece), Capt Parry, and Sir Edmund and Lady Hornby. Louy and I had a double bedded room in the bachelor's wing of the house. The Lloyds of Coedmore and Mr Lascelles came to dinner. Music in evening. Mrs Lloyd played and sang: Mrs Lloyd played the violin: Mrs Colby played the harp, and Capt Parry the cornet, and Miss Clark and Mrs Higgon played, and I sang. I played spilikins and dominoes with Sir E. Hornby. Mr Lascelles showed us the watch trick, and Louy and I showed them the yellow dwarf.

Saturday grey day. Breakfasted at 8, and Mrs Davies read prayers. We left Pentre with Miss Lloyd and Miss Brenchley who were going to stay at Llanmiloe for the hunting. Drove about 2 miles to meet coach which took us to Narberth Road. snowed nearly all the way home. came to Carmarthen at 1. We got into a carriage. with Mrs Harries and Mrs Phillips, Mrs Price joined us at next station, she had heard the false report of the Prince of Wales's death which they seemed to have heard at all the stations. drove home from Carmarthen in our carriage.

Our visit to Dynevor Castle
Wed 27 Dec. Papa, Mamma, and I went to stay with Lord and Lady Dynevor. drove to Carmarthen. at Ivy Bush took post horses and drove on to Dynevor. left Carmarthen at 2 and arrived Dynevor at 4. Had tea at 5, at 6 dressed for dinner. Lord and Lady Dynevor, Mrs Rice, 3 young men cousins of Lady Dynevor, and Mr Joyce aged about 15/16 grandson of Lord Dynevor who was spending his holidays at Dynevor. The little Dynevors (Lord Dynevor's 2nd family) sat round the fire while we were at dinner but did not partake of any food and disappeared before dessert. "In the evening it was slow as there was no music and Mrs Rice had no conversation". At 10 we adjourned to the dining room where all the servants were assembled and where Lord Dynevor read prayers and expounded parts of scripture extempore. Then bed.

Thursday. Lord Dynevor read prayers and expounded scripture extempore at 9, in the library. Lord Dynevor's son, aged about 10, the only boy of the second marriage, breakfasted with us. They had a German governess. After breakfast Papa went to a meeting at Carmarthen, and I played battledore and shuttlecock in the dining room with Mr Walters. lunched at 1. afterwards fed the peacocks who all came to the window for their dinner. Walked to Llandilo in the afternoon to see the church, and the younger Mr Walters played the organ. On the way back through the park we went to a quarry to look for trilobites (peculiar fossils found there) we picked up several. Then went to the old castle which we thoroughly explored. Home c. 5. Mr Rice arrived (from Tredegar where he had been staying). after dinner we had puzzles. then prayers.

Friday left at 11 and drove home.


Visit to the Mathesons
Saturday April 27. I went to stay at Lockner Holt near Chelworth for a day or 2. a very pretty gothic house picturesquely situated. On Sunday went to church. On Monday called on Mr and Mrs Princep about 3 miles away. Mr Princep is quite an artist, paints beautifully and carves splendidly: came home to lunch: in afternoon drove to Lowsley the Molyneux's place about 5 miles away a beautiful old Elizabeth house: they were out but the butler let us in to see the hall which is very curious and furnished like a drawing room. Then called on a clergyman's wife, and drove to Guildford to buy gloves. On Tuesday we returned to London.

Literary Fund Dinner at St James's Hall
8 May. Mrs Saunders Davies came with us. The attendance of the waiters was very bad as they were all more or less tipsy. We had good places in the front row of the Ladies Gallery opposite the royal party where we could see them very well. The King of the Belgians was in the chair and the President of the Institution on his right. The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Arthur, the Duke of Cambridge, Archbishop Manning, Disraeli, Cardwell, etc, etc. They all spoke except Prince Arthur. Band played while they were at dinner, and there was singing between the speeches Edith Wynne, Madam Patti etc sang.

Our Visit to Norfolk
On Thurs 9 May, Louy and I, with Bird, went to stay with the Bulmers at Heydon in Norfolk. by train to Norwich, looked at Cathedral, then off to Heydon where we arrived at c. 6. Heydon Hall is a beautiful old house in the Elizabethan style. A Rev Mr and Mrs Marsh and a Rev Mr Beauchamp came to dinner, the former being the Jodrell's vicar with whom they are not on speaking terms. On Friday drove around the countryside. On Saturday walked. On Sunday went to church and sat in "a high square old fashioned pew like a room".

[The End]
to top

You are here: Historian > HistorianVol12 > JournalOfAYoungLadyOfFashionPartII

to top